I can understand not wanting to set yourself up for failure, by setting out goals that you will not achieve. However, if you aim low enough and you're sure to hit your goal. I'm all for setting realistic and achievable goals, but I also think there is value in aiming high. I think our high goals remind us that we are not what we ought to be, that there are higher heights and greater things that what we can be content with. Perhaps many people don't like to be reminded of this, but I look to God and ask for his help for me to be the person he wants me to be, which is more than what I can be on my own. "Be perfect, as your heavenly father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48) Jesus knows this is impossible for us, but he still says it. Is this to remind us of our own ineptitude and our necessary reliance on him for righteousness? Probably. I'm going to aim high and look high for some help to get there.
So, here are a few of my New Year's Resolutions:
- Stop complaining. One year, my husband and I gave this up for Lent, which I thought was way better than giving up something as yummy as chocolate and way better for my attitude and was something I wanted to continue past Lent. It also freed us up to complain about church (Sunday is a feast day, so you get to eat chocolate or do whatever else you're giving up for Lent)... hahaha... oh, funny little side story... I used to teach Sunday School at the Anglican church that we went to in Moose Jaw and there was this family with three kids who had been moved all over Great Britain, so they had some pretty confused accents, but they were funny kids and the oldest was named Albert, he was 6 or 7. The Sunday after Ash Wednesday, I talked to the kids about Lent and about how some people give something up for Lent. Albert interjected (with his thick messed-up British accent), "I'm going to give up church for Lent!" Unfortunately for poor Albert, I had to explain about Sunday being the feast day.
Anyway, I don't know if I actually do that much complaining out loud, but I know I do too much in my head and I'm tired of hearing myself complain about so many stupid things. Life is too wonderful and too short. - Go to bed earlier. I just need more sleep. I'm sure I could be a much better person in general if I just had more sleep.
- Exercise regularly. I know this is on everyone's list, but it's totally necessary for my continued good health, energy and to set a good example to my children. Also, I'm getting chubby. After two kids and innumerable cookies (I'm a total sucker for cookies), I just can't suck it in anymore. (No, I didn't eat the kids; though they're so cute, could you blame me if I had?)
- Take more pictures. We got a fancy camera! And I LOOOOOOOOOVE it! I've been having so much fun already and so I want to take lots of pictures and get better at it. (It's always good to have a fun resolution in there). I'll share some pictures here soon.
- Make those pants. I bought some fabric and all the notions in, oh, probably August with the intent to have them ready to wear for the fall. When that didn't happen and the busy November and December hit, I hoped I would be able to work on them the week after Christmas. Now that that didn't happen, I'm going to have to make the best of naptimes and after bed-times for the next couple weeks to see if I can get these pants made. (It's always good to have a resolution that can get done for sure in there!)
That's all I'm listing now, just 5: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and NOOOOOOO kindergarden (that's for you, Robert Munsch)


Those are great resolutions. Zoe looks like she's lost a little of her little baby chub. She looks so grown up and super cute of course! Love Simon's smile.
ReplyDelete