So, here's what I do. I make stuff. I like doing this. I have a hard time focusing on one thing, so "I make stuff" is about as focussed as it gets.
I make cakes:
Becoming Canadian cake for David and Michelle Ernst in 2003(?)Gotta love Wilton paste food colouring to make that red. I needed to warn the eaters of this cake to be careful not to get any icing on their clothes!
Sponge Bob cake for Gemma Reichel in 2004We had just moved to Medicine Hat and Michelle Ernst and Gemma Reichel were on their way through to Oregon for a little trip. It happened to be Gemma's birthday (I really have no idea how old she would have been that year, I think 13). Gemma was a big Sponge Bob fan.
Farewell cake for Jeff and Amanda Penner in 2004I think this was the first cake I was ever paid to make. I was so nervous about making it just right and I was happy with how it turned out. The funny letters are Jeff and Amanda's names in Thai. You can find just about anything on the Internet.
She had a monkey party.
I can never think of anything cool for Dan's cakes.
(my first cake working with fondant)
I draw:
Portrait (1994)This is a charcoal drawing I did in grade twelve. Inspired by my art teacher who told me she didn't have very much from her students to put in the art show. So, I drummed up this little number. Ah, inspiration. Comes from the funniest places.
Poster for Esther (play Dan wrote & directed)Digital art completed by Dwight Friesen
Even though my mom crochets, my friend Heather Germain taught me how and got me hooked (ha ha). My mom knits doilies and stuff. I prefer mittens and scarves and toques and blankets.
Granny Square blanket (2003)This blanket was so crazy labour-intensive. I love how it looks, but I would never do it again. The little granny squares were not so bad, but the TWO WEEKS of hand whip-stitching was almost painful! This gives testament to what I did before I had kids, because I made this blanket in my spare time while I was working full-time and taking Greek during my lunch hours (and studying in the evenings).
My mother in law taught me to knit, sort of. She taught me the English method, which works and I could do, but once I learned the Continental Method, there was no going back for me. After crocheting, it felt so much more natural to hold the yarn in my left hand and it was faster for me to knit that way.
My mother in law taught me to knit, sort of. She taught me the English method, which works and I could do, but once I learned the Continental Method, there was no going back for me. After crocheting, it felt so much more natural to hold the yarn in my left hand and it was faster for me to knit that way.
I sew:
I have to laugh at myself when I type that: "I sew." For some reason, something in me says, "Don't lie." But then I see these pictures that I've taken of things I've sewn and I can't deny that no matter how easy they were to make, I sewed them.
Yolanda loves animal prints, so this flannelette print was a great find. Finding the fabric and making this blanket made me jealous for a cool blanket for Simon. He just had a dorky found-it-at-Walmart-non-gender-specific-fabric baby blanket that I made him.
I get lots of great comments on it.
Forgive the "burning the baby" look that this picture gives.
And I can hold the fabric straight while my machine works its magic.
These blankets are really great because they're huge. I can still swaddle Simon in this blanket if I need to (he doesn't like it so much anymore) and he is 20 lbs!
I made 5 of these sock monkeys for Zoe's 2nd birthday party: one for each of her guests to take home and one for her. Much better than a loot bag filled with a bunch of dollar store crap. The beauty of having small birthday parties. It actually only took me a couple of evenings to assemble these little guys. After they were all made, we spent the few days with them playing "Monkey Attack," which entailed throwing all the monkeys repeatedly at Zoe.
So, yeah, if you want to commission me to make you some stuff, let me know. I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking of specializing in food-inspired clothing and clothing-inspired food.


Teddi! I was thinking all week I need to commission you to make me a new touque covered antenna ball. I took Stilton (I finally named my little blue Hyundai) through the car wash last month, but forgot to take the antenna ball off. He lost the great tassle on the end, so I think it's time for a new little guy to ride atop the aerial. I would also love to have a summer version with a hat. Maybe I'll look for a picture I could e-mail if you're up for the project.
ReplyDeleteZoe actually discovered the antenna balls that I had in my craft supplies just a couple months ago, so I still have some and it doesn't take long to make one. Summer... I'll have to think about that for a bit. ;)
ReplyDeleteSweet.
ReplyDeleteTeddi :) I still use the swaddling blanket every night. We like it.
ReplyDeleteso can you teach me to knit? Sometime after Logan's paychecks have really started to kick in? If I just knew how to knit sweaters I could make pretty much everything we'd ever want to wear around here... except bathing suits I guess. Gotta draw the line at spandex.
ReplyDeleteAnd there's some big news on my blog! :)
I sure can teach you to knit, Rachel! You may not remember, but you taught me to crochet mittens. I have committed that pattern to memory and have made more than one gift with it. You'll love knitting with the continental method; it feels so much like crocheting. I tried English and it just felt wrong.
ReplyDelete