Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hamburger & French Fries Cake

Today is Simon's 2nd birthday. We had a party for him. Instead of making a cake, I made a bunch of hamburgers and french fries, since he's such a fast food loving kid (not really). I got the idea from this post from Bakerella.

Okay, so we didn't forgo cake altogether! It's a brownie cupcake hamburger and sugar cookie french fries! So fun and so tasty (though I found the hamburger to be a little too sweet for my taste).

Duncan Hines yellow cake cupcakes, made a little on the short side. I got 35 cupcakes out of one mix.


Orangey-yellow marshmallow fondant... perfect processed cheese colour!


Tomato red marshmallow fondant for ripe red tomatoes.


Vanilla pudding... mayonnaise.

Brownies.... for the hamburger patties. To stretch my batter a bit, I added 1/2 cup of homemade applesauce instead of increasing the butter, and increased the dry ingredients by 1/3 except the sugar (I figured 3 cups was quite enough). Instead of cracking and falling like they usually do, they were even and fluffy, a little more cake-y, but tasty and beautiful looking.

The "cheese" rolled out and cut for hamburgers. I used a ruler (to make them square) and a pizza cutter and did my best to cut in straight lines. But it didn't matter that much.

The "tomatoes" rolled and cut. I used a biscuit cutter for these and the brownie "hamburgers."

All the ingredients ready for assembly. The bowl is full of the brownies. I squished each one of them before assembling. They were too tall otherwise. The squishing made them a little less perfectly round, which added to the authentic look.

"Ketchup" "Mustard" and Coconut "Lettuce"

Hamburgers assembed.

Dan taste-testing.


Hamburgers and fries assembled for our friends at the Legislature Grounds.

Me and Simon with his hamburger and french fries.


Delicious! And totally fun!

5 comments:

  1. So great, Teds! You must have so much fun finding new ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Simon! What an amazing mom you have!

    Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are definitely cool. I'm sure the kids all thought they were great. I'm not sure if I could convince my brain that it wouldn't taste like hamburger. I was simultaneously intrigued and appalled while reading this post. Only because they were so realistic looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That takes a lot of patience, but they look a whole lot better than any cake I've ever made my kids. (treasure chests that sink and close, caterpillars that fall on their faces...) My kids are growing up with the realistic idea that their mom is far from perfect. Yours, on the other hand...

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete