Really sorry about dropping off the face of the blog-o-sphere for the last, what? month or so. This seems to be the story of my life. Starting and not finishing. (sigh) But I have good news! I've been back in the P90X groove for the past (almost) 2 weeks! Wahoo, go me. My diet hasn't been super awesome, but I'm getting the life/scheduling thing down better so that I can actually get decent workouts in my day. It sounds really dumb because I only work for like 4 hours a day and then I just come home and hang out with kids and do housework and stuff. I always feel so incompetent when I think that I struggle just to fit in a workout when I manage to spend so much time on Pinterest. Anyway (perhaps this little insight will leave me a little less eager to pin so much).
So, what do you need to do to get yourself in the P90X Groove? Here are my 5 easy steps:
Step #1. Get a friend to bring your eldest child home from school so that you don't have to worry about picking up kids in the afternoon. Now we have some awesome friends whose kids go to the same school as our kids. And we both have kids in the half-day program and the full-day program. So, we've managed to work it out that both families only have to go to the school twice a day. Up until February, they were doing the morning shift, we were doing the afternoon shift. We switched it up and it has made a WORLD of difference to my schedule and being able to get home from work, eat lunch and workout while the youngest naps all mostly before the eldest child gets home from school. Perfect!
Step #2. Enlist your middle child to be your workout partner/personal trainer/accountability partner;
Step #3. Keep pressing play. Just do it. Decide. Commit. Succeed. I sound like a BeachBody commercial. Yup. Oh well. One of the things I try to remember while I'm working out is to really get my intensity up. I figure if I'm here spending my time working out instead of browsing Pinterest, I may as well work as hard as I can. What's the point of wasting your time going through the motions? Wherever you are, be all there.
Step #4. Reward yourself. I've heard it can be motivating to set shorter term goals for yourself and attach rewards to them. I would really like some new yoga pants because I've dropped 3 pant sizes since last January and I'm still wearing the same yoga pants as before. Which is saying a lot for the lycra in LuLuLemon pants, but still; they're kind of baggy now and a new pair would be extra motivating to keep working out, right? I read somewhere if you feel like you look good when you work out, you'll do it more. So if I keep up until Wednesday, that'll be 2 weeks not missing a work out (not including Sundays for a rest day). I'm keeping this first goal simple and attainable because (sheesh) how much work does a woman need to do to "earn" herself a pair of yoga pants just so she can work out more?
Step #5. Remember this is good. It's so easy to forget when you skip a couple workouts and then you eat crappy for a couple days and then somehow putting a DVD in feels like work and you're too tired for that. But after less than 2 weeks (okay and some stuff before that), I already feel better about my body. My hips are less jiggly; my abs are tighter; my back is getting stronger. I saw some pictures of me from this summer and my back looked chubby. So, the goal of a nice toned, lean back is super motivating for me to do the strength work outs.
So, that's how you do it, folks! In 5 "easy" steps. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment