Friday, January 20, 2012

Day... whatever - Back at 'er

Okay, so it's Friday. It's been over a week since I've posted last and sadly over a week since I worked out (until today!). Friday, an unusual day to get started back at things. Getting started again is typically reserved for the beginnings of things: years, months, weeks. Last year that served me really well and I was very motivated to keep it going, so I was successful in my goals of losing weight and getting fit. But P90X is intense and I have a busy life besides exercising and eating right. I have to make this work for my life if I am going to get off the roller coaster of intense dieting and exercising and then doing little to nothing except feeling guilty. Now, I don't struggle with binge eating or eating for comfort or when stressed (in fact, quite the opposite: I don't eat much when sad or stressed). I sometimes eat when I'm bored, for relational bonding, and for the taste of yummy foods. So, it's not like I spent the last three months of last year overeating horrible foods, but I definitely indulged, especially over Christmas. Still, I'm going to need some balance here if this is going to by a lifestyle I can continue and pass on to my kids. So, Friday isn't Monday, but it is today and I can't do anything on Monday, I can only do what I can do today. Was that totally confusing?

I went to visit my sister and my newest nephew (I have only nephews and this little guy is the newest!) last weekend. After I got over how much he looks like my dad, he was super cute and pretty good company. He seems really content and seems to like a good swaddle. I love swaddling babies. Also, I made that blanket. My sister and brother in law are doing an awesome job as first time parents. This kid has it made in the shade!



I drove to Jasper and met my older sister there and we drove down to Cranbrook together. She's in great shape and has been able to reach some kind of life balance with working and exercising and eating right, so she was a great person to go down with, not tempting me to eat a bunch of crap (though we did have some delicious Butter Chicken one night). So, all in all, even though we weren't very active, we didn't eat that poorly, so the weekend wasn't entirely a flop health-wise. When I returned I thankfully had Monday off work, which meant that I should have worked out, but basically took the day to relax and do a bit of house cleaning and organizing. And the rest of the week kind of went like that too. 

This week has been really enlightening for me since I realized that I have loads of stuff to do around the house and for work, so I just can't take the time to focus in the same way as I did last year on P90X. It's probably more the mental barrier that I feel like an hour an a half is just so much time to commit to a workout that then I just don't even want to start. Also, I'm so bagged after the intense workout that I'm pretty much mush for the rest of the evening. So, with Dan getting 10 Minute Trainer, I think that's going to be it for me for the most part. If I do all the workouts (they recommend 3, but you can do just 1 or 2 if that's all you have time for), it's still takes about 35-40 minutes, once I navigate between workouts and everything. Much more do-able than P90X, though I think I'm going to miss some of the upper body workouts, so maybe I'll have to play around with adding those in.

I most want to change my backside, specifically my arms look chubby, so losing a little more fat will be helpful, but I want to add some muscle definition in there and I don't see the 10 Minute Trainer workouts doing that very quickly, since there's no specific upper body workout. 

My diet has been okay [Quick aside for clarification: when I mean diet, I simply mean what I have been eating, not like going on a restrictive "diet."], though I have been consuming more grains which I don't think has been so good for me. I haven't gained any weight in the last week, so that is good. I'm fairly pleased with that because I feel like that means for the most part that if I can get working out regularly, I can add the definition I want to see and may not necessarily need to restrict my intake much more. I feel like I'm at a comfortable place that way. I don't really care if I get to be a smaller size or not; now I'm just looking for a nice shape and toned body. It may mean dropping another size or two just because my frame may not be large enough to stay this size and still be toned.

On another happy note, since I feel so busy with home management, work and all that, I'm certainly not bored, so I don't feel like eating out of boredom: there's always something else to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment