Friday, September 26, 2008

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Today we took the bus.
Simon had an immunization appointment.
Dan had the car.
So, we used the world's slowest city website (way to be world-class, Edmonton) and planned our trip using ETS. We actually have a really great route just outside our door. It often takes me precisely where I need to go. Thankfully, our trip required just one bus from our door to the door of the clinic. And only 14 minutes travel.

There was almost no talking on the bus.
The only voice heard was that of my three and a half year old. And mine, only I was a lot quieter, so it's possible I wasn't heard.


"Why are we stopping?"
"Someone wants to get on the bus."
"Why?"
"I don't know. They want to go somewhere."
"Where?"
"I don't know. Somewhere this bus goes."
"What was that noise?"
"It's a bell that tells the bus driver that someone wants to get off."
"Why are we stopping?"
"Someone wants to get off the bus."
"Why?"
"This is where they wanted to go."
"What's that noise?"
"It's a bell that tells the bus driver that someone wants to get off."
"Is that my preschool?"
"No."
"Why is it not my preschool?"
"It's just not. Look over there in a couple blocks. Your preschool is over there. Do you see it?"
"There's my preschool! Why is it my preschool?"
"It just is. That's where you go to preschool."
"What are those words for?"
"They're advertising."
"What's advertising?"
"It's when someone is trying to get you to buy something."
"What's that noise?"
"It's a bell that tells the bus driver that someone wants to get off."
"Why are we stopping?"
"We're at a red light. It's the other cars' turn to go."
"Why is their turn?"
"They have a green light. It's their turn."
"When is is our turn?"
"When our light turns green."
"Why are we stopping?"
"Someone wants to get on the bus."
"What's that noise?"

That pretty much sums up our bus trip... except for fourteen minutes.

And this is how our children learn about the world.

3 comments:

  1. That's sheer genius. Thank your daughter for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just once in a while they make you want to unwrap a giant roll of duct tape, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was actually quite amusing. I'm not sure if it's because I was just sitting on the bus and had nothing else to do so it was more tolerable than usual, or because I imagined people listening to us and how funny it must be to listen to a steady stream of three year-old questions calmly answered by her mother.

    ReplyDelete