Friday, October 31, 2008

Zoe's Princess Costume

Zoe wanted to be a princess for Halloween. Again. This is only the second year of being a princess for Halloween, so it's not that bad I guess. Talk to me in three years. I looked around for cute costume patterns and found this one.


After spending a good hour or more looking through fabric at the fabric store (I'm sure there's a way those places could be better organized...), I had just about given up hope of finding an affordable 4 metres of fabric and perused the mall to see if there was something cute that could be purchased off the rack at a more affordable price. I returned to the fabric store disgusted at the lack of quality, even half-assed quality of the costumes available. My little girl is not wearing garbage. So, to another fabric store and I found this:

Shiny, eh?

The pattern required FOUR metres of the stuff, so when I laid it out to cut out the pattern pieces, it looked like this:
And then, well, I was busy putting the thing together and sewing and cursing and stuff, so I didn't get to take pictures, so heres' the final product.


Sadly, this was the best shot we got of her in her costume...

She looks a little Michelen man-ish, but she's warm, darn-it. And she didn't seem to mind at all. Her dress wasn't falling off her, which it would have been had she not been wearing her down-filled-Michelen-man winter coat underneath. She didn't want me fussing with her hair, so that's the best I could get it, so she looks a little sloppy to be a real princess... but she had fun and I like that she's confident and not overly concerned with her appearance.

We didn't get a picture of Simon on Halloween night. If I can get him back in his cute little dinosaur costume to pose for a picture, I'll add it here.

3 comments:

  1. She may not be quite old enough to appreciate it yet, but give her a few more years and she is going to be so proud to have a mom that knows how to make something many notches nicer than what's available at Walmart! Way to go! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That costume is gorgeous! I still need to invest in a sewing machine, if anything for all the hemming I have to get done on my pants. When I have the time I'll try and do some sewing like that, not as good as yours of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. I highly recommend starting sewing with costumes. There are so many finishing things that you have to be finicky about with real clothes, but don't have to be as picky about with costumes. So, if you make mistakes, it's not as important and not as frustrating (although this project was not made without cursing...)

    ReplyDelete