Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Can someone explain this to me?

OK, so while gas prices were soaring, my grocery store (and other stores, but it's hard to cut out groceries) kept raising their prices, claiming that their prices were going up because of shipping the goods. This made sense to me. I didn't like it, but at least I understood the correlation.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store and paid 73 cents per pound for bananas [I know I'm going to read this in 10 years and say, "73 cents! Bengert (I call myself by my maiden name when I'm mad at myself), those were the good ol' days and you didn't even know it!"]. I realize bananas don't grow in my country or even on my continent, but bananas are always the cheapest fruit. This increase would have made sense when gas was $1.40 per litre, but when I drove home, it was half that. Half that, people (yay!)! and I'm paying 14 cents per pound more for bananas than I did last summer! (AND FYI, bananas produce year-round).

And it's not just bananas, you know. Cereal? Up. Cheese? Way up. So, what's the story now? We didn't see a price drop with the price of oil. We didn't see a price drop when our dollar was at par (oh, Walmart, you made it look like you tried, but too little too late, in my mind). Our dollar is not what it was last year, but it's not that bad.

Could someone please explain what's going on to me?

Because I really don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment