Sunday, January 27, 2008

Going Orange

So, we keep giving Simon new foods, slowly building up his repertoire of things he can eat without getting sick. For those of you unfamiliar with introducing a baby to solids, basically, you have to start with one thing for a few days until you know that the baby isn't allergic to it and isn't having any problems digesting it. That way, you know what it is that is bothering your baby and you can eliminate it from his diet for a while. Today I tried zucchini. Simon ate it just fine and it seemed to be OK, until I got him up from his nap, nursed him and then he projectile vomited all over our dresser. And then he smiled and giggled.

Babies are so weird.

When we started to introduce Zoe to solids, we had a doctor's visit around the same time. Usually your baby's doctor likes to see her at about 6 months to make sure everything is going well. Dan used to come with me to all Zoe's doctor's appointments. (Now it's just kind of silly to drag the whole family down to the paediatrician's office.)

Our doctor warned us about introducing carrots... just to be aware that if we fed Zoe lots of carrots, she might turn kind of orange-y because she's so little and the beta-carotene could turn her kind of orange, especially her nose, ears and fingertips. So, I figured that meant, "Don't feed the kid too many carrots... mix it up a bit."

The next time Dan fed Zoe, it was carrots. I made sure to compensate by giving her peas or yams. And then, he fed her carrots again. It seemed like every time he fed her, he was giving her carrots.

"Are you trying to turn her orange?" I asked one day.

He smirked, "... no..." So, my doctor issues a little warning and Dan takes it as a challenge. He was kind of a funny doctor, though. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he said that because he knew my husband probably would try to turn her orange.

Tonight I asked Dan to get some food ready for Simon. What does he pull out of the freezer? Two or three orange carrot cubes. I think Simon's starting to get a little orange around the nose...

No comments:

Post a Comment