Tonight, Simon is my favorite.
even if it is beets and he spits it up for the next 5 hours.
"Try one bite of everything or go to bed" rule and wonder if that's even healthy.
So, Zoe refused to try her supper tonight. She ate part of it: the broccoli and the pecans (it was a modification of the salad that I was having; I omitted the avocado and Dijon dressing for her), but refused to try the fish. We've set a standard of trying one bite of everything. We want her to try stuff. Since making this rule, I have read that you shouldn't even do that. I just think it's so rude to decide you don't like something before even trying it. But I can see the point because it gets really frustrating because you can't make a kid eat something. So, the rule is try it or go to bed. She chose bed. I was mad. I made her sit on the potty before bed. She went, which was great, but I was still mad. She asked for a treat from the gingerbread house (standard for using the potty... not something I wanted to do...the food thing, but the only thing that has worked). I had a moment of sanity and gave her the treat (this was about supper, not about the potty, right?).
It's unfortunate that I'm sour about her right now because otherwise, she had a pretty stellar day. She sat and pooped on the potty, all by herself, when I was upstairs tending to Simon for a couple minutes. This is a pretty major achievement, because for the most part, it seems she'd rather do this step in the pull ups. She'd save it up for naps and bed time, which was annoying and GROSS. She helped me make cupcakes and icing this afternoon and otherwise didn't whine too much when I announced that she had watched enough movies and TV for the day.
I'm seriously considering relenting on the "Try it" rule. We'll get all this stuff figured out for Simon, right?
Teddi,
ReplyDeleteSuper cool to see your blog. I finally clicked on here and was pleasantly surprised (except for the NASCAR stuff). Anyway I am glad to know you are in the blogosphere. Cute pics.
peace,
greg
Simon is gorgeous...what a super cutie.
ReplyDeleteI am thinking I might try the carrot thing, sounds like a fun experiment.
Chase is eating solids now, and loving it. It's a bit early, but he's ready, and he's so much happier now.
I am really enjoying your blog!
I think Simon has an orange nose. But, it could be the color in my computer. ;)
ReplyDeleteWe encourage Emma to "take a mouse bite" if she doesn't like it, then she has to find something on the table to eat. When she is done, she can leave but she does not get anything more to eat. But, if she does a good job of eating at supper she can have a snack before bed or maybe even dessert. So far it has worked b/c she has some control..which is what they crave. She also learns the consequence to her actions. That might mean going to bed a little hungry.
Good luck with the meal thing. For some kids it will always be a battle, no matter how many things you try.
Simon is so cute. what a big smile and big eyes!
ReplyDelete