Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 8... back from the weekend

Well, I guess I took a blogging break over the weekend. I took a working out break, too, I suppose. We did have a busy day on Saturday, during which I spent a fair amount of time cleaning up the house and doing laundry, so I was working and on my feet all day, which almost counts as working out, right?

We ate alright over the weekend. We did end up having pizza and wine and black bean brownies with our guests on Friday night, as planned. I used a sugar substitute and they don't have any flour in them, so they were a nice treat that was actually relatively healthy (though I don't consider sugar substitutes to be especially healthy in general); they're surprisingly good, so if you haven't tried them yet, here's the recipe I used. The texture is a little "soufflĂ©" but they are very chocolatey and you would never guess you are eating beans. My kids even like them.

Black Bean Brownies

1-19 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup sugar or equivalent
1 cup egg whites
4 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 F. Put everything except nuts in a blender or food processor. Blend. Add nuts. Bake in an 8 inch square pan for 25-30 minutes if using sugar or dry sweetener (30-35 minutes if using a liquid sweetener).  Makes 16 brownies. Per 1: 76 calories, 10 grams carbs, 4 grams fat, 5 grams protein.

After our guests went home, I individually wrapped the rest and popped them in the freezer! Yay for me! On Sunday morning I made oatmeal muffins for breakfast. I limited myself to two. These are just regular homemade sized muffins, so 2 is a reasonable amount. I am usually a sucker for my own baking, but I resisted temptation and sent the last 2 off to school this morning with snacks/lunches.

This afternoon wasn't looking good to get a P90X work out done because the baby had only been up for a little over an hour by the time I got home. And there's a very small window during which I can work out  in order to be on time to pick the kids up from school. So I opted for some Kinect Adventures with Simon. We mostly did Reflex Ridge, which, especially when you get to the advanced levels, is quite the workout! Jumping, squatting... and it doesn't just let you get by with little jumps either. You really have to get your feet off the ground! And it's A LOT more difficult if the baby is fussy and wants to be held and you try to jump and squat! I was totally sweating and we did that for about an hour. I probably looked awesome when we got to the school to pick up the kids.

I'm really pleased with that purchase. We were concerned we might not have enough room for the games in our living room, but it works just great. We do have to move some furniture to the side, but it really gets the kids (especially Simon) moving in the winter, so it's absolutely worth it. And it's even great for me to get some exercise in more manageable chunks delivered in a fun way. It's especially fun to do it with Simon (when he's not having a mini-temper-tantrum over his avatar changing to a girl... I guess he and Zoe look too much alike to the Kinect!).

And now what you've all been waiting for: What I Ate Today!
Breakfast: 3 egg scramble with aged cheddar, black coffee
Morning snack: (brought it to work, but forgot to eat)
Lunch: DELICIOUS Beef & Broccoli made by my husband (YUMMY!)
Afternoon snack: recovery drink
Supper: pan-seared tilapia, quinoa & garden salad
Evening snack: maybe I'll have a little square of 85% cocoa chocolate or a black bean brownie

I was doing really well last week with my water intake. I didn't do so well over the weekend. I need to keep that up!

3 comments:

  1. I just want to let you know that I faithfully read your blogs and updates every morning while I eat my breakfast or after the kids are in bed (I even found myself missing them on the weekend). You have motivated me to eat a little healthier and think differently about food! I am trying to keep I have not taken up any sort of jumping and squatting but I do participate in Joels (our 9 year old son) water polo lessons 3 times a week. So that is a start for me!
    Also want to encourage you to keep up the good work and stick to it (even thru those tough times which WILL come)! It's like reading a chapter of a book everyday and wondering how it will turn out! SO as another daily reader and friend, "Keep fit, and have fun!"
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... That was supposed to say, I am trying to keep junk food out of my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jeff. It's nice to know someone's reading my rambling. Sometimes I wonder! It's pretty fun to transform your body; I'm looking forward to getting ripped!

    ReplyDelete